Building a Linux Media Network, one step at a time

Monday, January 23, 2006

Introduction

This blog is an ongoing journal of my attempt to build a digital media network. The rough idea goes like this:

I will have a media server in my basement, located in a spot where it can make as much noise as it wants. This computer will host all my digital photos (roughly 3600 ~ 8Gb worth), all my movies (which, depending on compression, could easily break 1Tb), all my MP3's (about 20Gb), and any digital video I choose to capture (probably from a combination of cable TV and my in-laws' camcorder).

In addition to this, I will have at least one "client" computer, which will display media from the server. The primary requirement for this computer is that it be quiet. Secondary requirements are:
  • No moving parts (so I can leave it on all the time without wearing out fan bearings, drive motors, etc) - this obviously relates to the noise level.
  • Cheap! I want to put one of these in the living room, in the rec room, in the bedrooms, etc.

I expect there are a lot of people that would like to have a setup like this, so hopefully this site can become a useful resource. My contact info can be found in the "About" section that shows up on all pages; if you have any questions that aren't answered on the site please don't hesitate to ask.

Russ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home